In his very first mix, especially crafted for Rhythm Passport, Cheb Lila embarks on a journey through some of his favourite contemporary sounds emanating from the African continent and the Middle East.
This sonic incursion into Cheb Lila’s sonority will kick off with the charming voice of Senegalese kora player Ablaye Cissoko and a dream-like song straight from Mozambique, followed by the super powerful and bluesy voice of Guinean Momo Wandel Soumah, along with the griot tunes of Yandé Codou Sène and the eclectic vibes of Congolese electronic project, Mbongwana Star.
We will take a short stop in Mauritania to listen to one of ardin-master Malouma’s most ecstatic and upbeat songs, then travel all the way through to hip Beyrouth alongside Y.A.S. and Bachar Mar-Khalife, and then immerse in the density and maturity of Kamilya Jubran, and finally, meet El Morabba3 and their Jordanian rock infused with rap vocals.
- Ablaye Cissoko – Bara (Le Travail)
- Wazimbo & Orchestra Marrabenta Star de Moçambique – Nwahulwana – 00:04:13
- Momo Wandel Soumah – Yérélélé – 00:10:30
- Yandé Codou Sène – Bofla Tigue Waguene – 00:16:55
- Mbongwana Star – Kimpala – 00:21:45
- Malouma – Gamly – 00:26:00
- Y.A.S. – Gamil – 00:30:20
- Bachar Mar-Khalifé – Ya nass – 00:33:21
- Kamilya Jubran & Werner Hassler – Al-shatte al-akhar – 00:37:35
- Emel Mathlouthi – Instant – 00:42:15
- El Morabba3 – Ya zein – 00:46:12