In our new podcast series, we’ve chosen to focus on who provide us with the precious “raw material” for our listenings and features: quality new music!
We are talking about those heroes who decided to launch, nurture and cultivate a record label (better if with an ‘independent’ in front of it). As the title suggests, Listen to the Label is our way to pay them a well-deserved tribute, disclosing and recognizing their invaluable work and letting them introduce it with words and tunes.
No lockdown can stop our Listen to the Label podcast series. In fact, for the new episode we “went” to Scotland, where we “paid a visit” to a good-and-proper institution of the reggae and dub scenes, Scotch Bonnet Records.
Since August 2005 and the release of Mungo’s Hi-Fi’s 10” titled Rasta Meditation / Belly Ska, the Glaswegian label has not only grown into a mover-and-shaker of the UK uptempo movement, but also into a recognized player spreading upbeats and bringing their sound system all over the through new releases, DJ-sets and events.
A few days ago, we reached by phone Craig McLeod, Scotch Bonnet’s co-founder and Mungo’s Hi-Fi’s member, to gain a better perspective of his label and the Scottish-Jamaican way, the sound system culture and how to keep ‘a foot in the past and a gaze into the future’…
- Mungo’s Hi-Fi x Marina P feat. Tippa Irie & Dennis Alcapone – The Beat Goes Ska! [from Soul Radio; 2020]
- Mungo’s Hi-Fi x Eva Lazarus – Amsterdam [from More Fyah; 2019]
- Stalawa feat. Blessed San – Traitor [from Stalawa in Africa; 2019]
- Danny T & Tradesman feat. Lutan Fyah – Dance a Gwan [from Built for Sound; 2017]
- Mungo’s Hi-Fi feat. Charlie P – Rules Of The Dance (Kahn remix) [from Rules of the Dane Kahn & JD remixese; 2016]