Global lockdown or not, the groove must go on! Are we machines that can just be shut up and locked down? Onipa gives us the answer on their debut album, cd of the week on Radio Mukambo. From Ghana to London, Onipa (“human” in the Ashanti language) brings energy, groove, electronics, forward-thinking Afro-futurism & fire to the dancefloor!
Manu Dibango proved that he’s not a machine, the Cameroonian saxophonist died at 86 last week after contracting coronavirus. One of the most influential African musicians of the past century left us with perhaps the most covered & sampled track ever, Soul Makossa. We check out the Brazilian version!
We announce two new videoclips of Portuguese afrobeat. There’s something blooming in Lisbo, They Must Be Crazy and Carapaus Afrobeat are in the middle of it. Tony Allen & Hugh Masekela bring an ode to Fela Kuti ++ new sounds by Proyecto Secreto (ska), Ozferti (ethiohop) & Pongo (kuduro).
You can download this podcast on www.groovalizacion.org/mukambo9
- Onipa – We No Be Machine
- Tony Allen & Hugh Masekela – Never (Lagos Never Gonna Be The Same)
- They Must Be Crazy feat. Selma Uamusse – Expensive Water (Mati Yakataika)
- Carapaus Afrobeat feat. Tony Allen, Boss AC & Oghene Kologbo – Do Allen/Diabo na Terra
- Onipa feat. Wiyaala – Onipa
- The Shakin Jamaican – Earthquake
- Proyecto Secreto – Jamaica 69
- Manu Dibango – Soul Makossa
- Chico Science & Nação Zumbi – Samba Makossa
- Onipa – Kukuru
- Ozferti – Chika BetPongo – Uwa
- Pongo – Uwa
- Batida – Bantú
- Gatanga Boys Band – Tiga Kundega (Hide & Smile Edit)