Forget about Cellules Communistes Combattantes, here comes an hour of musical CCC: Cross-Continental Collaborations! Starring Kampala’s darkest electro-percussion group Nihiloxica, a project that harnesses the full force of the ancient Bugandan drumming tradition of Uganda brings it to the contemporary dance floor through a dark lens of techno sensibility. Formed by UK musicians Spooky-J & pq and members of the Nilotika Cultural Ensemble, Nihiloxica delivers our cd of the week “Kaloli’, out on Nyege Nyege Tapes.
The musical CCC continues with wild Japanese folk fusionists Minyo Crusaders meeting cumbia radicals Frente Cumbiero, the father of Ethio-jazz Mulatu Astatke joining forces with Melbourne-based hiphop-groove collective Black Jesus Experience, vibrant Palestinian electronic music by Zenobia, Moroccan dancefloor beats by Guedra Guedra, LA tropifunk by Jungle Fire & beyond!
CD of the week: Nihiloxica – Kaloli
- Nihiloxica – Supuki
- Minyo Crusaders & Frente Cumbiero – Cumbia del Monte Fuji
- Jungle Fire – Slipshot
- Ogun Afrobeat feat. Dele Sosimi – Benefit for All
- Mulatu Astatke & Black Jesus Experience – To Know Without Knowing
- Amerigo Gazaway – Indivisible
- Tiken Jah Fakoly – Plus rien me m’étonne
- Poirier – Pull Up Dat
- Guedra Guedra – Aït Crossing
- Nihiloxica – Gunjula
- Zenobia – Sa7rawe
- Nihiloxica – Bwola
- Badi & Percy – Méchant 2