This Corona stuff really sucks ey! Since we might all be bound by borders for a while, we’d like to come together and share some happiness in the shape of a playlist or mix!
In the next days and weeks, check out Safe & Sounds, where we will figuratively introduce you to and put you in touch with music whizzes, featuring their selections, collections and picks from all around the globe.
Be “Safe & Sounds” and wash your hands!
Working as a journalist for Pan African Music has been like a musical rebirth. I literally re-discovered some sensations by digging into an African world I only knew from the surface by then. The pandemic has been tough, but it also propelled the creativity of numerous DJs and producers. Since I’m listening to a lot of new releases, I can tell that music- and especially African and diasporic ones- was definitely the first vaccine that helped a lot of people to forget about what was going on for a while. This DJ set reflects some feelings I’ve been through this past year, a mix of melancholy and bittersweet happiness, keeping hope alive thanks to all the amazing producers, and reissue labels.
The mix starts with some mystic afro midtempo and electro-latin tunes, and then it goes through percussive and emotive songs, to finally meet the warm amapiano vibes, aethereal melodies and happy feminine voices to end with good vibes. I try to introduce a wide variety of countries (such as Congo, Burkina-Faso, Mali, Colombia, Chile, Guinea, Brazil, Angola, South Africa…) and genres, by switching from one to another with – what I hope- no room for boredom.
I hope you spend an excellent time listening to it. Peace!
(François – Crotch Goblin)
- IFÉ – Preludio (Ejiogbe)
- Mystraw – Ethiobeat 02
- Rosalía – Malamente
- Montoya – Perla
- Anka Foh – Bara
- Mawimbi feat. Fatim Kouyaté – Fôli Kadi
- Nebeyu Hamdi – Arte Azmene
- Praktika feat. Cheickné Sissoko – Tchapalo
- DJ Raff – Memoria
- Soma World feat. Falle Nioke – Want This
- Curumin – Tudo Bem Malandro (Ennio Styles remix)
- Gustavo Di Dalva – Agogô Pra Gandhi
- Black So Man – On s’en Fout
- Ichon – La Vie
- Montparnasse Musique feat. Kasai Allstars & Basokin – Panter
- Muzi feat. Samthing Soweto – Mncane
- Poirier & Daby Touré – Nidiaye Sam
- Lua Preta – Baile Lotus (DJ Raff remix)
- Sio feat. Dwson – Fabrications
- TOBi, DJ Tunez, Oxlade feat. Juls – Dollas and Cents (DJ Tunez mix)
- The Lowkeys – Stolen Goods
- Busiswa feat. Kamo Mphela – SBWL
- Sun El-Musician feat. Nobuhle – Never Never
- Baloji – Bipolaire
- Nahawa Doumbia – Didadi
- Star Feminine Band – La Musique
Based in Lille, North Of France, François aka Crotch Goblin worked as a journalist for a few French and Belgian media outlets such as the online magazines TheClubbing and Mowno, before landing on Pan African Music in 2019, where he works as a journalist, DJ, radio host and curator.
He grew up living and breathing techno, IDM and drum’n bass. While today, he absorbs the new musical vibes from Africa and its diasporas to feed the eclectic and dynamic DJ sets he puts together alongside international guests in his weekly PAM Sound System Radio Show.