What is Exeter Respect?
Exeter Respect is the city's annual celebration of diversity where performing and creative arts and community activities are used to promote multi-cultural understanding and challenge prejudice.
This year's events:
This year we present not only a giant free 2-day festival but an incredible Saturday night after-party at Exeter Phoenix and a final Respect Rocks after-show at Exeter Phoenix on the Sunday night.
Respect In The Park – free festival on Sat & Sun 2 & 3 June:
This has become Exeter's biggest and best community event, attended by a staggering 20,500 people last year!
Belmont Park will once again be transformed into a vibrant festival site containing the following exciting areas and activities:
World big-top stage:
Radio One superstar DJ Nihal will play on this stage on Saturday afternoon. The rest of the weekend's line-up will include: acclaimed soul, ska & reggae stars Laid Blak, funky Bangladeshi fusionists Lokkhi; international funksters BronzeHead; local hiphop & indie pioneers N.U.M.B; the Hazaar klezmer band; and Peachy Farmer's home-grown reggae.
- an array of diverse performances including: schools, acrobats, choirs, playwrights, hiphop crews, martial arts demos, musicians, poets and much more – our line-ups get more diverse every year!
– laid back performances representing a range of cultures in a lovely sofa-filled marquee with catering by Exeter Real Food Cafe
- an array of children's activities including arts & crafts, multi-cultural play, stories from around the world and even Exeter City FC penalty shoot-out sessions!
- learn dances from all over the world in a new tent
– alternative therapies from around the world in the chilled atmosphere of the park's sensory garden
Fire Service Area:
– with interactive demonstrations
– showcasing the full range of Co-op services, and Co-ooperative values
– an array of local crafts and Fair Traded goods
Communities and campaigns:
– reflecting Devon's diversity, from refugee support to recycling, from
– more food from around the world than ever before including curry, Caribbean dishes, Mexican food, pasta, pizza and even exotic organic dishes!
and a Licensed bar too.
What visitors can expect:
Exeter Respect has a celebratory atmosphere second to none and this year's festival builds on the key aspects of last year's amazing event, the city's biggest-ever community celebration!
Belmont Park will be covered in beautiful site decoration produced by a range of schools, community and youth groups. There will be activities and performances representing every part of Exeter's culture, which is becoming more diverse year-on-year, with something to see or do for participants of all ages and backgrounds.
Paul Giblin, event organiser and Olympic torch-bearer commented: "Exeter Respect is firmly established as the city's most successful community event and this year promises to be our best yet. We are thrilled and honoured to have Nihal from Radio One playing in the park on Saturday afternoon and again at the evening after-party, he's an international cultural ambassador who combines cutting edge music with a really positive message – just right for Exeter Respect."
Suaad Genem-George, Exeter Respect's community engagement lead stated: "We have had so many community groups wanting to join in this year that we have been forced to juggle places at the event and even then we won't be able to fit everyone in – we really are victims of our own success, in the nicest possible way. It's brilliant to see so many people wanting to celebrate their diversity with us, which is the best way of combating negativity and division within society."
Exeter Respect runs on volunteers and we need more – if you want to help put on this event then please get in touch via the Exeter Respect website.
As well as the giant free daytime event in Belmont Park on the Saturday and Sunday, there will be following evening events:
Saturday 2 June, Official Respect after-party at Exeter Phoenix with Nihal and much more, 10pm-4am, £15.
Sunday 3 June, Respect Rocks after-show night at Exeter Phoenix full details tbc.
There are no commentsAdd yours