This Corona stuff really sucks ey! Since we might all be bound by borders for a while, we’d like to come together and share some happiness in the shape of a playlist or mix!
In the next days and weeks, check out Safe & Sounds, where we will figuratively introduce you to and put you in touch with music whizzes, featuring their selections, collections and picks from all around the globe.
For my mix for Safe & Sounds I wanted to keep it simple and upbeat, with a focus on different sounds from across the African continent. It’s been a while since I’ve played these out, and in putting this together it made me look forward to a time in the future where I can drop a selection like this in a club or bar, to a group of friends and music heads dancing into the small hours.
– Djeli Fama – Amadou Balaké
– Egu Wo Su – Unknown
– Cauze Cauze – Ti L’Afrique
– Tsemed Bieray – Bahta G. Hiwot
– Xaste Waroul – Diarama de St Louis
– Obiara Te Se Onoa – City Boys Band
– Muugn – Super Diamono Du Senegal
– Tsegure Zenfalawa – Tilaye Chewaka
– Monday Morning In Lagos – Fela Kuti and Africa 70
– Sina Raha – Hafusa Abasi & Slim Ali With the Yahoos Band
– El-Mawed – Mohamed Elamin
– Imeneni – Tiberih Tesfahunegn
– Papai Bovu – Lucky Star Musical Club
– Entay Ghidey – Asgedom W. Michael
– Eritrea Ati Breie – Unknown
Chris Menist aka Awkward Corners is a writer, DJ and musician best known as the co-founder of the Paradise Bangkok label and band, alongside DJ Maft Sai. He co-curated the ‘Sounds of Wonder’ series with the Finders Keepers label, as well as the ‘Sound of Siam’ (Soundway) and ‘Thai? Dai!’ (Finders Keepers). He was also behind Dust-To-Digital’s ‘Qat, Coffee and Qambus : Raw 45s from Yemen’, and wrote the ‘Black Fire! New Spirits! Radical and Revolutionary Jazz in The USA 1957 – 1982’ book for Soul Jazz.
Currently residing in the UK, he hosts a monthly show on NTS and his DJ sets (in Japan, Thailand, Australia and in Europe at Nuits Sonores, Glastonbury, Off Festival and Wax Treatment amongst others) encompass a broad mix of reggae, soul, african, latin and asian sounds from across the globe. Awkward Corners is a regular side project Chris uses for exploring experimental soundscapes and settings, and his latest LP ‘Dislocation Songs’ is out now on Shapes Of Rhythm.